Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1951, 97minmins
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Uehara Ken, Shimazaki Yukiko
In his first attempt to adapt Hayashi Fumiko’s novel, Naruse’s Repast stars the luminous Hara Setsuko as a housewife to a salaryman husband in Osaka. Five years of marriage has long since dulled: domestic duties have become mechanical and her husband uninspiring. The arrival of her spirited niece prompts a search for the life she once knew in Tokyo. Naruse’s lens captures a livelier Hara, whose warm smiles hide a disappointment at the mundane, and a longing for liberation. Contrasting with her saintly presence in Ozu’s films, Repast offers a complex Hara that is not without troubles and dissatisfaction, articulated through her nuanced performance.
#2 in 1951 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
1952 Blue Ribbon Award, Best Film & Best Actress
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.