Repast a.k.a. A Married Life
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1951, 97 minmins, DCP
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Uehara Ken, Shimazaki Yukiko
Naruse’s first adaptation of Hayashi Fumiko’s novels launched a wave of shomin-geki films about the working-class in mid-century Japan that earned him critical acclaims. Unlike the devoted character in Ozu’s films, Hara Setsuko, after marrying for five years, finds domestic duties mechanical and her husband uninspiring. Incited by the arrival of her spirited niece, she leaves home in search of the life she once knew in Tokyo, and ends up re-discovering her happiness – a dream comes true, or a self-fulfilling prophecy?
#2 in Kinema Junpo ’s Top 10
Blue Ribbon Award: Best Film & Best Actress
Buy Ticket 2020-01-04 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
1. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas : tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
2. Screenings at HK Arts Centre and M+ Cinema : tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets are available at URBTIX website and mobile app. On-the-day tickets will also be available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the respective venue, subject to availability.
3. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
4. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.