Dir: Okamoto Kihachi
Japan, 1965, 122minmins, 35mm
Cast: Mifune Toshiro, Kobayashi Keiju, Aratama Michiyo
In a fictionalization of an event leading up to the Sakurada Gate Incident in 1860, Mifune Toshiro plays a roguish ronin, Tsuruchiyo, who is recruited by a group of assassins to carry out a murder of the Shogun. Obsessed with proving his worth as a potential samurai, he beheads the Shogun in a ferocious rage, unknown to what the fate has in store for him. Director Okamoto orchestrates a horrifying massacre against eerie blanket of all-enveloping snow, leaving behind remorse as his disillusioned antihero disappears into the distance.
Buy Ticket 2017-06-04 (Sun)
Buy Ticket 2017-07-15 (Sat)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.