Dir: Kobayashi Masaki
Japan, 1967, 128minmins, 35mm
Cast: Mifune Toshiro, Nakadai Tatsuya, Tsukasa Yoko
Director Kobayashi Masaki’s statement against the conformity and social restraints in a visually striking picture with theatrical aesthetics. Mifune Toshiro is the deadliest swordsman Isaburo whose humble obedience brings disgrace to his son and daughter-in-law as the Lord forces whims on them. To defend samurai’s dignity, he faces off against and killing his best friend, border guard Tatewaki (Nakadai Tatsuya), and boldly confronts his destiny of rebellion. By his death, the sense of disenchantment of swordsmanship, of resistance to power structures, remains a symbol of hope that still resonates today.
1967 Venice Film Festival FIPRESCI Prize
#1 in 1967 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
Buy Ticket 2017-06-11 (Sun)
Buy Ticket 2017-07-16 (Sun)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.