Song at Midnight
Dir: Maxu Weibang
1937, 1937, 123minmins, DCP
Cast: Jin Shan, Hu Ping, Shi Chao, Gu Menghe
In the Early Republican years , Song, a young revolutionary, passes himself off as an opera singer. He falls for Li, a landlord’s daughter, but their romance is thwarted by Li’s father and a lustful ruffian. A Chinese horror classic adapted from Hollywood silent The Phantom of the Opera and influenced by James Whale’s Frankenstein, this film was the tone-setter for Hong Kong’s horror movies in the early post-war years. Maxu Webang’s powerful script and unique directing style, coupled with German Expressionist cinematography and highly stagy, fluid mise-en-scene, results in a worldview that is as indulgent and pathological as it is campy and funny.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.