Song at Midnight
Dir: Maxu Weibang
1937, 1937, 123minmins, DCP
Cast: Jin Shan, Hu Ping, Shi Chao, Gu Menghe
In the Early Republican years , Song, a young revolutionary, passes himself off as an opera singer. He falls for Li, a landlord’s daughter, but their romance is thwarted by Li’s father and a lustful ruffian. A Chinese horror classic adapted from Hollywood silent The Phantom of the Opera and influenced by James Whale’s Frankenstein, this film was the tone-setter for Hong Kong’s horror movies in the early post-war years. Maxu Webang’s powerful script and unique directing style, coupled with German Expressionist cinematography and highly stagy, fluid mise-en-scene, results in a worldview that is as indulgent and pathological as it is campy and funny.
Phantoms of the Cinema
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.