Sound of the Mountain
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1954, 95minmins
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Yamamura So, Uehara Ken, Nagaoka Teruko
Based on Kawabata Yasunari’s novel, Sound of the Mountain portrays an aging patriarch’s attempts to alleviate the troubled marriage of his philandering son and his child-like wife Kikuko (Hara Setsuko). The father-in-law’s faintly inappropriate fancy towards Kikuko is ambiguously reciprocated, rippling the family’s rigid surface. Naruse’s sensibility delves deeply into the feelings of an unsatisfied wife, offering Hara an opportunity to channel feminine desire and melancholy. Caught between duty and clandestine affection, Hara’s Kikuko internalises her unspeakable feelings, allowing them to be glimpsed only through allusion and allegory. Like works of haiku, her restrained performance leaves viewers with lingering impressions.
#6 in 1954 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.