Strangers on a Train
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
USA, 1951, 101minmins, DCP
Cast: Farley Granger, Robert Walker, Ruth Roman
Guy (Farley Granger), a tennis player with political ambitions, by chance meets Bruno (Robert Walker), a feckless millionaire’s son, on a train from Washington to New York. Bruno, while confessing extreme contempt for his disapproving father, cheerfully reveals that he knows all the details of Guy’s personal life from the newspaper gossip columns, including his unhappy marriage to a vulgar woman who won’t grant him a divorce. The perfect crime, Bruno tells Guy, would be two strangers exchanging murders, thereby having no connection to the victims. One of Hitchcock’s most disturbing films nevertheless manages to offer up ample amounts of gallows humor.
1951 National Board of Review, USA, Top Ten Films
Alfred Hitchcock – The American Years : Pure Cinema
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.