Tabu: A Story of the South Seas + A Day in the Country
Dir: F.W. Murnau / Jean Renoir
USA/France, 87/40minmins, DCP
Cast: A Day in the Country (Partie de campagne) Sylvia Bataille, Georges D’Arnoux, Jeanne Marken
Tabu: A Story of the South Seas
(With original music by Hugo Riesenfeld)
Cast: Anne Chevalier, Matahi
“Like a naughty child, the aboriginal boy splashes down the waterfall and plunges himself with the girl in his arm into the immaculate waters of the pool, beautiful young bodies glittering in the embrace of a brilliant sun. This is perhaps what it should be when boy meets girl, to simply follow one’s heart… Murnau’s Tabu is an uncanny soul mate of Gauguin’s paintings, all his dreamscape, mysticism and psychedelics… Could this actually be Murnau’s response to Gauguin’s departure from European civilisation?” – Dreamy Talks I (Screening with A Day in the Country)
Academy Awards: Best Cinematography
A Day in the Country (Partie de campagne)
Cast: Sylvia Bataille, Georges D’Arnoux, Jeanne Marken
“It is as if Jean Renoir had taken us on a brief respite, away from an increasingly insufferable political reality, and venturing back into an emotional vulnerability which we have learnt to be immune to… The sequence of the daughter’s boat ride with the young man flows like a velvety river, carrying us to the wilderness of passion, hushed and veiled, saved for the whispers of the nightingales and pounding heartbeats… Renoir’s close-up of Henriette captured inexplicably the most delicate yet sorrowful moment of intimacy in the history of film.” – Dreamy Talks I (Screening with Tabu: A Story of the South Seas)
New York Film Critics Circle Awards: Best Foreign Language Film
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.