Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
USA, 1963, 119minmins, DCP
Cast: Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Jessica Tandy
An apocalyptic tale about our fine-feathered friends turning against humans with a series of deadly attacks at a scenic coastal town in Northern California. On one level, The Birds is polished top-notch entertainment – a chilling end-of-the-world horror story (personified by the Bible-quoting drunk at the neighborhood restaurant), laced with black humor – but on closer inspection there is an abundance of Hitchcock’s cinematic preoccupations: the beautiful cool blonde, the charming bachelor unwilling to commit to a relationship, a complex mother-son bond, obsession and jealousy, and a loss of control over one’s personal environment.
#7 in American Film Institute‘s 100 Year… 100 Thrills in 2001
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.