The Boy and the Beast
Dir: Mamoru Hosoda
Japan, 2015, 120minmins, DCP
Cast: Voice Yakusho Koji, Miyazaki Aoi, Sometani Shōta
Voice Cast: Yakusho Koji, Miyazaki Aoi, Sometani Shōta
Accidentally ventures into the Beast Kingdom, the lonely boy Kyuta is taken in as an apprentice by the powerful but hotheaded warrior beast Kumatetsu. Despite their constant strife, the fiercely pair soon develop a father-son relationship, and unite in the fight against a monster who devastates the human world. In an impressive mix of hand-drawn and CGI animation, Hosoda’s action-adventure boosts the wildest imagination with his fantastic world of beast and his versatility of playful fights, and most captivatingly, an unsentimental love of surrogate familial communities.
2016 Japan Academy Film Prize, Best Animation Film
2015 San Sebastián International Film Festival, Golden Seashell Nominee
19.8.2018 (SUN): Master Class with director Mamoru Hosoda
Venue: Tai Kwun JC Cube
Moderator: Toe Yuen
Admission by ticket only
Conducted in Cantonese and Japanese
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 2018-08-17 (Fri)
Full House 2018-08-19 (Sun)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.