The Darjeeling Limited
Dir: Wes Anderson
USA, 2007, English, 91mins, DCP
Cast: Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman
Distraught by their father’s death and their mother’s disappearance, three estranged brothers agree to meet in India for a spiritual voyage aboard a luxury train, but their distrust and immaturity keep threatening to derail their journey to enlightenment. Inspired by Jean Renoir’s The River and Satyajit Ray’s films, Wes Anderson shot his offbeat sibling rivalry comedy almost entirely on location in India, which included converting a real train into a film set. Vibrant colours and chaotic aura of the nation as well as music from Ray’s films prove to be a perfect match with the eccentrically charming style of the American auteur, who achieved startling new maturity in this perplexing drama full of happy surprises.
Venice Film Festival: In Competition
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.