The End of Summer
Dir: Ozu Yasujiro
Japan, 1961, 103minmins
Cast: Nakamura Ganjiro, Hara Setsuko, Tsukasa Yoko
In their six-film collaborations, Ozu continued to refine the “Hara Setsuko” figure as she matured. Their last film together sees her as a middle-aged widow committed to raising her child, and oblivious to any courtship. This is in contrast with her father’s impulsive surrender to the worldly joys as he reunites with his ex-lover, and her sister’s modern attitude towards romance. Ozu’s light comedy contemplates chance and transient passion, with Hara as the true center of the film completely content in the face of an ever-changing world, perfecting her transcendental presence in the Ozu universe. There is no better conclusion to this enduring creative collaboration, replete with profound mutual understanding and appreciation.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.