Dir: Satyajit Ray
India, 1960, Bengali, 99mins, DCP, B&W
Cast: Sharmila Tagore, Chhabi Biswas, Soumitra Chatterjee
What Elia Kazan described as “”poetry on celluloid”” is an achingly beautiful yet poignantly haunting film examining blind faith and crushing superstition in the waning days of India’s feudal system. In a masterfully told story about a wealthy landowner who is convinced that his daughter-in-law is the reincarnation of the goddess Kalia, Ray took a profound look at the world of patriarchal power and fanatical religiosity which is devastating to the lives of the young women and their families. His stylised compositions and chiaroscuro lighting cast an unforgiving shadow on a domestic tragedy intoxicated by decadence.
Cannes Film Festival: In Competition
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.