The Phantom Lover
Dir: Ronny Yu
1995, 1995, 100minmins, HD Digital
Cast: Leslie Cheung, Wu Chien-Lien, Huang Lei
Legendary superstar Leslie Cheung is at his most soulfully charismatic in The Phantom Lover, director Ronny Yu’s sumptuous remake of the 1937 classic Song at Midnight. Cheung plays Song Danping, a renowned stage performer whose forbidden love for an upper-class girl (Wu Chien- Lien) leads to his disfigurement and downfall. Taking inspiration from Romeo and Juliet and The Phantom of the Opera, this operatic musical drama is among the most visually stunning and romantic Hong Kong films ever produced. Featuring contributions from Oscar-winning cinematographer Peter Pau and composer Chris Babida, whose melancholy score perfectly complements Leslie Cheung’s stirring pop songs.
1996 Hong Kong Film Awards, Best Art Direction and Best Costume & Make Up Design
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: Tickets are available at URBTIX only. No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available from 30 minutes after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.