The Phantom Lover
Dir: Ronny Yu
1995, 1995, 100minmins, HD Digital
Cast: Leslie Cheung, Wu Chien-Lien, Huang Lei
Legendary superstar Leslie Cheung is at his most soulfully charismatic in The Phantom Lover, director Ronny Yu’s sumptuous remake of the 1937 classic Song at Midnight. Cheung plays Song Danping, a renowned stage performer whose forbidden love for an upper-class girl (Wu Chien- Lien) leads to his disfigurement and downfall. Taking inspiration from Romeo and Juliet and The Phantom of the Opera, this operatic musical drama is among the most visually stunning and romantic Hong Kong films ever produced. Featuring contributions from Oscar-winning cinematographer Peter Pau and composer Chris Babida, whose melancholy score perfectly complements Leslie Cheung’s stirring pop songs.
1996 Hong Kong Film Awards, Best Art Direction and Best Costume & Make Up Design
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.