The Phantom of the Opera
Dir: Rupert Julian
USA, 92minmins, DCP
Cast: Lon Chaney, Mary Philbin, Norman Kerry
Adapted from Gaston Leroux’s novel, Phantom tells the story of a young singer at the Paris Opera House, who captures the attention of a mysterious benefactor. But when his romantic advances are rejected, the hideous “Phantom” unleashes murderous vengeance upon the company. Phantom underwent numerous rewrites and reshoots getting to the screen, while Lon Chaney wrestled control away from its director, and turned in a hit, terrifying audiences with his horrifying Phantom, in grotesque make-up of his own design. The film’s success subsequently launched a string of Universal monster movies, including Dracula (1931) and Frankenstein (1931). In 1929, substantial reshoots were again staged, in order to re-release Phantom with sound, and the beautiful restoration that exists today incorporates footage from both versions.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.