The Seventh Seal
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1957, 96minmins, DCP
Cast: Max von Sydow, Gunnar Björnstrand, Bibi Andersson, Gunnel Lindblom,
The seventh seal is broken and Death reveals. A medieval Swedish knight (Max von Sydow) returns home from the Crusades only to face a landscape of plague and despair. Confronted by Death, he forestalls his demise by challenging Death to a game of chess. A timeless masterpiece, Bergman’s stark black-and-white cinematography and morbid images offer the perfect visual metaphor about the silence of God and the horror of death. The danse macabre transcends into a rich philosophical allegory of mortality that remains the most haunting cinematic symbolism even today.
1957 Cannes Film Festival, Special Jury Prize
Buy Ticket 2018-06-09 (Sat)
Buy Ticket 2018-07-02 (Mon)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.