The Tarnished Angels
Dir: Douglas Sirk
USA, 1957, 91minmins, DCP
Cast: Rock Hudson, Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone
Sirk had read with admiration William Faulkner’s novel Pylon when it was published in the ’30s, and jumped at the opportunity to direct an adaptation reuniting him with the cast and producer of Written on the Wind. The title refers to a trio of barnstormers – a war hero turned stunt pilot addicted to racing his plane, his long-suffering wife, and a loyal mechanic devoted to them both – as seen through the eyes of an alcoholic reporter. Evocatively set during Mardi Gras in Depression-era New Orleans, The Tarnished Angels is a quintessentially Sirkian tale of failure – of individuals and a nation not living up to their promise – and a neglected masterpiece that is among the director’s most poignant works.
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.