The Trial of Joan of Arc
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1962, 65minmins, 35mm
Cast: Florence Delay, Jean-Claude Fourneau
A foundational story of French identity with complicated questions of God and nation. Bresson follows the narrative of the country maid led by God to save France as a knight but brought down by prejudice and treachery. Yet, he reinvents it through his use of non-professional actors and his negation of actorial artifice (for which he condemned Carl Dreyer’s 1928 version of the story) in the quest for spiritual truth, on and off screen.
1962 Cannes Film Festival, Special Jury Prize
Post-screening seminar with Long Tin and Li Cheuk-to
Filmmakers on Bresson_Andrei Tarkovsky, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Filmmakers on Bresson_Jacques Rivette, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Buy Ticket 2017-06-03 (Sat)
Buy Ticket 2017-07-08 (Sat)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.