The Virgin Spring
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1960, 89minmins, DCP
Cast: Max von Sydow, Birgitta Valberg, Gunnel Lindblom, Birgitta Pettersson
Inspired by a medieval Scandinavian folk ballad, Bergman transcends a brutal morality tale into an existential examination of religious faith. The violent rape and murder of an innocent girl in a doomed journey to the church, along with the subsequent brutal vengeance on the evil herdsmen by her father, lead to a contemplation of God’s cruel whims. Bergman won his first Oscar for this compelling and emotionally draining film shot in austere simplicity, taking us to a tranquil and haunting ending, where redemption may eventually be found.
1961 Academy Awards, Best Foreign Language Film
10.6.2018 (SUN): Post-screening seminar with Long Tin and Geoffrey Wong
Free Admission. Conducted in Cantonese
Buy Ticket 2018-06-10 (Sun)
Buy Ticket 2018-07-27 (Fri)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.