The Wife of Seishu Hanaoka(Hanaoka Seishu no tsuma)
Dir: Masumura Yasuzo
Japan, 1967, Japanese, 99mins, 35mm
Cast: Wakao Ayako, Takamine Hideko, Ichikawa Raizo
Domestic rivalry is skillfully dissected and exposed through the true-life story of the Japanese surgeon in the Edo period who obsessively researched to develop the first general anesthetic. Vying for his affection, his imperious mother and dutiful wife compete to offer themselves as guinea pigs for his experimentation. In rivalling sublime beauty and nuanced performances, Takamine Hideko’s dominance matches Wakao Ayako’s sensitivity in this dizzying tale of devotion and sacrifice. Overtaking a biopic of scientific innovation, Masumura’s restrained lens offers an accomplished study of family dynamics and complexity of the female psyche.
Kinema Junpo Awards: Best Actor
#5 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.