Thousand Cranes (1953)
Dir: Yoshimura Kozaburo
Japan, 1953, 110minmins, 35mm
Cast: Mori Masayuki, Kogure Michiyo, Otowa Nobuko, Sugimura Haruko
The moral shadings of Kawabata’s post-war masterpiece are illuminated by an ensemble of top-notch talents from the Golden Age of Japanese cinema – flamboyant direction by Yoshimura Kozaburo, concise screenplay by Shindo Kaneto, and awe-inspiring cinematography by Miyagawa Kazuo. The beauty of tea ceremony is transcended into an allusion of erotic obsession in an enthralling story about a young man who stumbles into a passionate yet destructive relationship with his late father’s mistress and her daughter. A world slowly disintegrating, a decadence so overpowering.
Blue Ribbon Awards: Best Cinematography
12.5 (SUN): Film Talk with William Lau
Full House 2019-05-12 (Sun)
Buy Tickets 2019-05-25 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas : tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
2. Screenings at HK Arts Centre and M+ Cinema : tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets are available at URBTIX website and mobile app. On-the-day tickets will also be available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the respective venue, subject to availability.
3. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
4. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.