THX 1138 (The George Lucas Director's Cut)
Dir: George Lucas
USA, 1971, English, 88mins, DCP
Cast: Robert Duvall, Donald Pleasence, Maggie McOmie
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, a young Californian filmmaker named George Lucas imagined a chillingly prescient vision of the future, overseen by an automated police force, where drugs are administered to suppress the emotions of the populace. Robert Duvall and Maggie McOmie play two shaven-headed worker drones in this Orwellian hellscape, who embark on a secret, and highly illegal, romance that makes them enemies of the state. Lucas would go on to become arguably the most influential architect of adventure-driven science fiction, but THX 1138 captures him in a rare moment of poetic introspection.
Cannes Film Festival: Directors’ Fortnight
11/12 (Sat): Film talk with Keeto Lam
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.