Time of the Gypsies( Dom za vesanje)
Dir: Emir Kusturic
Yugoslavia, 1988, Romany／Serbo-Croatian, 142mins, DCP
Cast: Davor Dujmovic, Bora Todorovic, Ljubica Adzovic
Shifting away from bleakly nostalgic satire, Kusturica draws a parallel with Luis Buñuel’s Los Olvidados , conjuring surrealist vision to capture the delirious joy and desperation of the Yugoslavian gypsies under rollicking accordion music and eclectic imagery. The tragic-comedy traces how an innocent, telekinetic boy devoted to his faith-healing grandmother and crippled sister descents into a Godfather’s accomplice engaging in exploitative crime in Italy. Punctuated with an amazing turkey, this turbulent drama is as spontaneous and mesmerising as its gypsy heroes who are under the spell of life’s gifts and misgivings.
Cannes Film Festival: Best Director
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.