Dir: Ozu Yasujiro
Japan, 1953, 136minmins
Cast: Ryu Chishu, Higashiyama Chieko, Hara Setsuko
Universally regarded as one of the greatest films of all time, and featuring Hara Setsuko’s defining role with Ozu, Tokyo Story is his tender vision of the evanescence of family and tradition in the booming post-war metropolis. An old couple from the provinces visits Tokyo to see their adult children, who – apart from Hara’s dutiful widowed daughter-in-law – put them off with business and excuses. Hara’s generosity extends beyond duty, even reason perhaps, highlighting the ideal form of humanity and the values of a bygone world. This role sees Hara symbolizes the sublime compassion that is central to the triumph of this masterpiece, and to Ozu’s oeuvre.
#3 in Kinema Junpo’s 100 Greatest Japanese Films in 1999
#3 in Sight & Sound’s 2012 Greatest Films of All Time poll
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.