Dir: Paul Verhoeven
The Netherlands, 1973, 108minmins
Cast: Monique van de Ven, Rutger Hauer
Verhoeven’s first success offers tender beginnings in this melodrama of a love lost and becomes the most critically and commercially successful film in Dutch cinema. Eric (Rutger Hauer) is a free-loving Dutch sculptor who meets Olga (Monique van de Ven) when she picks him up as a hitchhiker. Despite her conservative family’s vehement objections to him, the relationship blossoms into marriage but it is eventually disrupted by Olga’s increasingly erratic behavior. The relationship ends in divorce but Eric remains entranced and puzzled by her behavior, leading to a tragic reconciliation.
1999 Netherlands Film Festival, Best Dutch Film of the 20th Century
*Post-screening seminar with Li Cheuk-to and Geoffrey Wong
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.