Witness for the Prosecution
Dir: Billy Wilder
USA, 1957, 116minmins, DCP
Cast: Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton
A veteran barrister has been asked to rest during his recovery from heart surgery, but he can’t help but take on the case of an inventor accused of murdering a rich, older widow. The plot thickens when the defendant’s wife, the only one who can prove his innocence, becomes a witness for the prosecution. Featuring whip-smart dialogue and transformative performances by superstar Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton, this adaptation of the Agatha Christie play is one of the few that was actually publicly praised by the iconic author herself.
Academy Awards: 6 nominations including Best Picture
Golden Globe Awards: Best Supporting Actress
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app. On-the-day tickets are also available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the venue. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available once the screening begins.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.