Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Dir: Pedro Almodóvar
Spain, 1988, 89 minmins, DCP
Cast: Carmen Maura, Antonio Banderas, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma
Trying in vain to get in touch with her vanishing lover, Pepa’s suicidal despair escalates so intensely that it becomes a gravitational pull, sucking in an assortment of eccentric characters embroiled in their own neuroses in her terrace penthouse. When the insane ex-wife takes off the chase tracking, the raffishly deadpan comedy gives way to an action thriller with a hysterical murder pact. In poetic Hitchcockian allusions and genre-bending cinematography, Almodóvar’s intertextual experimentation is a glossy delight of stylization – with spiked gazpacho, flying telephone and ecstatic farce.
Venice Film Festival: Best Screenplay and Golden Ciak Best Actress
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2019-08-18 (Sun)
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2019-08-25 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.