Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1979, 81 minsmins, DCP
Cast: Klaus Kinski, Eva Mattes, Wolfgang Reichmann
A tale about Woyzeck, a lowly soldier who in public is being afflicted by the unbearable weight of social oppression, in private is being tormented by visions of the apocalypse. Going through severe military discipline, scientific experimentation and the desertion of his woman, Woyzeck is finally driven to insanity. Adapted from Georg Büchner’s unfinished play, Herzog’s harsh vision of human suffering beyond despair is more than a sharp parable on societal and political inequalities. Kinski incarnates the tragic hero with a deeply moving yet absurdly comic idiosyncrasy, a “good” man possessed by intimations of the mortality of mankind.
1979 Cannes Film Festival, Best Supporting Actress
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.