Written on the Wind
Dir: Douglas Sirk
USA, 1956, 99minmins, DCP
Cast: Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall, Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone
Sirk’s masterpiece is an outlandishly lurid, Freudian family melodrama characteristically stylised to the hilt with garishly expressionist Technicolor visuals. The Hadleys own half the oil in Texas, but the heir to the empire is an alcoholic with fears of sexual impotence, while his sister sleeps around town as a nymphomaniac. The company geologist and a secretary become romantically entangled with the dysfunctional siblings, but desire everywhere remains frustrated and unfulfilled. Sirk’s delirious critique of a capitalist patriarchy undermined by repressed libidinal impulses represents the giddiest heights of cinematic camp, as phallic imagery abound from pistols to oil wells.
Academy Awards: Best Supporting Actress
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.