A Gentle Woman
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1969, 88minmins, DCP
Cast: Dominique Sanda, Guy Frangin, Jeanne Lobre
A meditation on shared loneliness, and also one of Bresson’s most sensual and secular films. The center of the film is Elle, incarnated by the exquisite Dominique Sanda (The Conformist, 1970) in her debut role, whom we nonetheless first meet as a body on the streets of Paris. Flashbacks allow us to glimpse her life and loves, including the passionate but misunderstood husband, Luc and their vain attempts at diversion. Another dialogue of Bresson and Dostoevsky (from the Russian story, The Gentle Creature) and the first venture of the ascetic director into color.
1969 San Sebastián International Film Festival, Silver Seashell for Best Director
Filmmakers on Bresson_Jonas Mekas, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Buy Ticket 2017-07-01 (Sat)
Buy Ticket 2017-07-14 (Fri)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.