Dir: Alan Parker
USA, 1984, English, 120mins, 35mm
Cast: Matthew Modine, Nicolas Cage, John Harkins
Shooting up the propulsiveness of Midnight Express (1978), the late Alan Parker filled William Wharton’s story with streams of imaginative flights into a moving tragicomedy about friendship and survival in a world of suppression and violations to the human spirit. Returning from Vietnam as war ravaged victims, Birdy withdraws entirely into his dream world, transforming himself into a feathered creature he is always fascinated with, while Al, now with a disfigured face, is called on to bring his pal back to his senses. In mesmerising flashbacks of memorable vignettes, the two friends send their spirit soaring, in an exalting act to try one last fling at flying and freedom.
Cannes Film Festival: Grand Jury Prize
9/1 (Sat): Film talk with Ernest Chan
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Post-screening talk
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app. On-the-day tickets are also available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the venue. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available once the screening begins.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.