Dir: Otto Preminger
UK／USA, 1958, English, 94mins, DCP
Cast: Jean Seberg, David Niven, Deborah Kerr
The hedonistic summer of frivolous girl Cecile and her philandering father Raymond is interrupted by the arrival of Anne, a straitlaced fashion designer who sets to become her stepmother. Agonised by her rivalry in their flirtatiously intimate father-daughter relationship and the loss of her outrageous freedom, Cecile conceives a childish scheme to exact revenge. Veering between the monochromatic present in Paris and colourful recollection of the French Riviera vacation, Preminger’s stylised melodrama extracts the last ounce of pathos from the scandalous novel by Françoise Sagan. Nailing Cecile’s brittle impetuosity and intoxicating melancholy completely, Jean Seberg’s performance impressed upon Jean-Luc Godard, who later turned the young star into an icon of the French New Wave in Breathless .
5/12 (Sun): Film talk with Tang Siu-wa
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.