Christmas in August
Dir: Hur Jin-ho
South Korea, 1998, 97 minmins, DCP
Cast: Han Suk-kyu, Shim Eun-ha, Shin Goo
A pillar of melodramatic perfection at the forefront of South Korean cinema’s millennial resurgence, Hur Jin-ho’s directorial debut is a deceptively simple story of mortality and memory. Han Suk-kyu gives a heartbreaking performance as a photographer, who discovers his illness is terminal just as he begins a relationship with Shim Eun-ha’s beautiful traffic cop. Rather than subject her to unnecessary pain, he chooses to preserve the purity of their burgeoning romance as if captured in a photograph, leading to one of cinema’s most celebrated acts of romantic selflessness.
Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Film, Best Actress, Best Cinematography and Best New Director
18/1 (SAT): Film talk with Thomas Shin
Full House 2020-01-18 (Sat)
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2020-02-15 (Sat)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: Tickets are available at URBTIX only. No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available from 30 minutes after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.