Christmas in August
Dir: Hur Jin-ho
South Korea, 1998, 97 minmins, DCP
Cast: Han Suk-kyu, Shim Eun-ha, Shin Goo
A pillar of melodramatic perfection at the forefront of South Korean cinema’s millennial resurgence, Hur Jin-ho’s directorial debut is a deceptively simple story of mortality and memory. Han Suk-kyu gives a heartbreaking performance as a photographer, who discovers his illness is terminal just as he begins a relationship with Shim Eun-ha’s beautiful traffic cop. Rather than subject her to unnecessary pain, he chooses to preserve the purity of their burgeoning romance as if captured in a photograph, leading to one of cinema’s most celebrated acts of romantic selflessness.
Blue Dragon Film Awards: Best Film, Best Actress, Best Cinematography and Best New Director
18/1 (SAT): Film talk with Thomas Shin
Full House 2020-01-18 (Sat)
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 2020-02-15 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.