In the Name of the Father
Dir: Jim Sheridan
Ireland/UK, 1993, 133minmins, DCP
Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Emma Thompson, Pete Postlethwaite
Masterful Irish writer-director Jim Sheridan takes on the real framing of the Guildford Four to create not only an indictment of British injustice but a parable of generations and struggles. Daniel Day-Lewis proves riveting as Gerry Conlon, a Belfast ne’er-do-well in the wrong place in London, whose arrest, torture and forced confession land him in British prison. His story is tempered by the strong, subtle presence of Pete Postlethwaite as Gerry’s father, who supports him but is himself imprisoned along with family members. And Emma Thompson is the lawyer who helps unravel the government conspiracy that substitutes closure for truth.
1994 Berlin International Film Festival, Golden Bear for Best Film
1994 Academy Awards, 7 nominations including Best Picture
8.9.2018 (SAT): Post-screening talk with William Lau
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: Tickets are available at URBTIX only. No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available from 30 minutes after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.