Johnny Got His Gun
Dir: Dalton Trumbo
USA, 1971, English, 111mins, DCP
Cast: Timothy Bottoms, Kathy Fields, Donald Sutherland
Survival from war turns out to be the most horrifying experience to Joe, a patriotic young soldier grievously wounded and confined to a hospital back room. Left limbless, faceless, blind and dumb, Joe is only alive in memories and fantasies, as he learns to communicate with the world in search of a faint hope of life, or even death. Adapting his own novel in his only directorial effort, Oscar-winning blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo taps on every emotional effect to deliver a strong, disquieting cinematic statement about the cruelty of war and the meaning of life, conjuring nightmarish terror as in the surrealist cinema of Luis Buñuel, whom Trumbo originally wanted to direct.
Cannes Film Festival: Grand Jury Prize and FIPRESCI Prize
3/1 (Sun): Film talk with Long Tin
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.