Johnny Got His Gun
Dir: Dalton Trumbo
USA, 1971, English, 111mins, DCP
Cast: Timothy Bottoms, Kathy Fields, Donald Sutherland
Survival from war turns out to be the most horrifying experience to Joe, a patriotic young soldier grievously wounded and confined to a hospital back room. Left limbless, faceless, blind and dumb, Joe is only alive in memories and fantasies, as he learns to communicate with the world in search of a faint hope of life, or even death. Adapting his own novel in his only directorial effort, Oscar-winning blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo taps on every emotional effect to deliver a strong, disquieting cinematic statement about the cruelty of war and the meaning of life, conjuring nightmarish terror as in the surrealist cinema of Luis Buñuel, whom Trumbo originally wanted to direct.
Cannes Film Festival: Grand Jury Prize and FIPRESCI Prize
3/1 (Sun): Film talk with Long Tin
Back to the Screen
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.