Land and Freedom
Dir: Ken Loach
UK/Spain/Germany, 1995, 109 minsmins, 35mm
Cast: Ian Hart, Rosana Pastor, Iciar Bollain
Ken Loach’s homage to Catalonia in a grand epic, the film begins with the death of David Carr, a Liverpudlian downtrodden idealist who went to fight fascism in the Spainish Civil War in 1936. Falling in love with the fiery revolutionary Blanca and falling into a rat’s nest of bloody infighting in the left camp, he ends up tearing up his Communist party card and returns to Britain only with a red neckerchief full of Spanish earth. With a true socialist’s moral vision, Loach’s real triumph is, perhaps, to keep alive the fight for the dream of a better world.
1995 Cannes Film Festival, FIPRESCI Prize and Prize of the Ecumenical Jury
1995 European Film Awards, Best European Film
Land and Freedom, From Loach on Loach by Ken Loach and edited by Graham Fuller (London: Faber and Faber, 1998)
Buy Tickets 2017-09-30 (Sat)
Buy Tickets 2017-10-07 (Sat)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.