Dir: Abbas Kiarostami
Iran, 2008, 92minmins, DCP
Cast: Golshifteh Farahani, Mahnaz Afshar, Taraneh Alidoosti, Juliette Binoche
Continuing with the streak of bold formalism to be found in Five , Shirin is composed entirely of women’s faces. Not five, not ten, but 112 faces of actresses are to be found in the audience of a surreal cinema space. We watch their faces one by one as they, in turn, watch a drama unfold out of view – reacting to the thunderous action of a 12th century Persian play that we can only imagine from the lush soundtrack. An engrossing experiment with rich rewards.
02/02/2017(Thu): Post-screening talk with Loretta Chang
Shirin, From The 33th Hong Kong International Film Festival Main Catalogue (The Hong Kong International Film Festival Society Limited, 2009)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.