Dir: Toyoda Shiro
Japan, 1957, 133minmins, 35mm
Cast: Kishi Keiko, Ikebe Ryo, Yachigusa Kaoru
“The train came out of the long tunnel into the snow country.” Evoking the magic of the moving image in the novel’s opening sequence, Kawabata conceives a quietly devastating tale of an entangled love affair between a Tokyo dilettante and a beautiful geisha in a snowbound town. Adding dramatic and aesthetic intensity to Kawabata’s symbolism in his masterpiece, Toyoda pivots his camera on the geisha Komako, as she becomes embroiled in conflicts through shifting relations with her lover, her ailing husband and the charming young lady who adores him, and is eventually forsaken to face her lonely destiny.
Kinema Junpo Awards: Best Screenplay
Cannes Film Festival
11.5 (SAT): Film Talk with Fiona Law
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. Screenings at M+ Cinema: Tickets are available at URBTIX only. No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX website, mobile app and outlets only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available from 30 minutes after the screening begins.
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.