Dir: Toyoda Shiro
Japan, 1957, 133minmins, 35mm
Cast: Kishi Keiko, Ikebe Ryo, Yachigusa Kaoru
“The train came out of the long tunnel into the snow country.” Evoking the magic of the moving image in the novel’s opening sequence, Kawabata conceives a quietly devastating tale of an entangled love affair between a Tokyo dilettante and a beautiful geisha in a snowbound town. Adding dramatic and aesthetic intensity to Kawabata’s symbolism in his masterpiece, Toyoda pivots his camera on the geisha Komako, as she becomes embroiled in conflicts through shifting relations with her lover, her ailing husband and the charming young lady who adores him, and is eventually forsaken to face her lonely destiny.
Kinema Junpo Awards: Best Screenplay
Cannes Film Festival
11.5 (SAT): Film Talk with Fiona Law
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Post-screening talk
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app. On-the-day tickets are also available at the Self-service Ticketing Kiosk of the venue. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available once the screening begins.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.