Dir: William Wyler
UK／USA, 1965, English, 119mins, DCP
Cast: Terence Stamp, Samantha Eggar
It’s almost shocking to see William Wyler adapting such a creepy, disturbing story, yet a closer look will prove that the consummate artistry and dramatic helmsmanship of the Hollywood maverick is a perfect match to the depth of vision in John Fowles’ bravura debut psychological thriller. Broadening his obsessive collection from butterflies to girls, a lonely young man abducts and locks an art student in the cellar of his secluded country house, forcing her to reciprocate his love. Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar turn in remarkably retrained performances accredited at Cannes, translating the elegant freak of the psychopath and the terrifying despair of the captive to sympathetic yet chilling effects in this character study.
Cannes Film Festival: Best Actor and Best Actress
Golden Globe Awards: Best Actress (Drama)
28/11(Sun): Film talk with Ernest Chan
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.