The Conjugal Bed
Dir: Marco Ferreri
Italy / France, 1963, 90 minmins, DCP
Cast: Ugo Tognazzi, Marina Vlady, Walter Giller
All would envy Alfonso, a 40-year-old man, when he marries a beautiful and religious virgin. But soon he faces the grim fate of a worker bee, whose sole mission is to fulfill his queen’s sexual desires and quest for motherhood. A satirical Buñuelian grotesquerie that was censored upon release, Ferreri’s first Italian feature pokes wicked fun at the eternal battle between the sexes, while offering a critical commentary on the matriarchal complex and religious formalities. Marina Vlady (2 or 3 Things I Know About Her) was named Best Actress at Cannes.
Cannes Film Festival: Best Actress
Journey Through Italian Cinema: Restorations from Cineteca di Bologna
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.