The Dancing Girl of Izu
Dir: Gosho Heinosuke
Japan, 1933, 93minmins, 35mm
Cast: Tanaka Kinuyo, Ohinata Den, Kobayashi Tokuji
In a journey of quest to Izu, Kawabata constructed an autobiographical story of self-transformation that garnered his first critical success. In his own narrative, a college student recounts his youthful infatuation with a traveling actress (the young and magnificent Tanaka Kinuyo) – an innocent love that leaves a regret tenderly crushing, yet purifying a secluded soul. Injecting a sense of life’s rhythm into the silent picture. Gosho, assisted by Fushimi Akira’s brilliant screenplay, re-orientates the sublime story into a richly human drama, inundated with warmth and lyricism.
#9 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
Live Music Accompaniment
Yukio Chidori studied shakuhachi under the renowned master Fukuda Teruhisa, and has given many performances in Hong Kong and Japan. Apart from traditional Japanese music, he also shows great interest in jazz and popular music. He was awarded the title of Shihan (Master) and the name of “Seimei” (Wisdom). He is currently an instrumental instructor at the Music Department of CUHK.
Lee Ka-pui, Etta
Lee holds her Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Music from CUHK. Received koto training under Imatake Mie, Grand Master. She performs frequently since 2007, notably at the Japanese Emperor’s birthday celebration ceremony held by the Consulate- General of Japan in Hong Kong.
The Beauty of Sadness: Kawabata Yasunari
Full House 2019-04-13 (Sat)
Full House 2019-05-26 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.