The Legend of Suram Fortress
Dir: Sergei Parajanov
Soviet Union, 1985, 84 minmins, DCP
Cast: Veriko Andjaparidze, Tamari Tsitsishvili, Dudukhana Tserodze
After over a decade of being plagued by legal troubles, Parajanov finally returned to filmmaking in 1985 with this film. A retelling of a Georgian folktale, the film follows a freed peasant and a fortune teller who would become key to saving their nation. Imbued with visuals inspired by traditional Georgian culture shown in carefully composed painting-like frames, this mystical fantasy is another fascinating, fiercely original work that breaks genre borders. Screening with Hakob Hovnatanyan (1967, 11min), a shortform poetic documentary on portraits by the influential Armenian painter.
Rotterdam International Film Festival: Best Innovative Film
2/2 (SUN): Seminar* with Bryan Chang and Geoffrey Wong. Conducted in Cantonese. Free Admission.
Press here for more details on Programme Update for Cine Fan Screenings on 22 & 23 February.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- K11 Art House
- Broadway Hollywood
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Festival Grand Cinema
- The Grand Cinema
- M+ Cinema
- Cine Moko
- MOViE MOViE
- The Metroplex
- the sky
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Shouson Theatre
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- The HKFYG Jockey Club Media 21
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Assigned seating
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.