The Magic Flute
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1975, 135minmins, DCP
Cast: Josef Köstlinger, Irma Urrila
Mesmerized by Mozart’s sense of wonder, Bergman adapts the fairy-life adventure of The Magic Flute – “a companion through life” as he called it – with a cheerful relish, in one of his warmest and most lighthearted films. In a replica of the baroque theatre, the classic tale of a prince who fights against sinister sorcerers and rescues the princess is unfolded with improbable special effects, juxtaposed with deliberate closeups of audience’s reactions. Its creativity and perfect combination of whimsical charm, childlike joy and genuine depth make it a revered opera film.
1975 USA National Society of Film Critics, Special Awards
1975 Golden Globe Awards, nomination for Best Foreign Language Film
Buy Ticket 2018-06-30 (Sat)
Buy Ticket 2018-07-28 (Sat)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.