The Marquise of O
Dir: Eric Rohmer
France, 1976, 103minmins, DCP
Cast: Edith Clever, Bruno Ganz, Edda Seippel
Crossing the moral dividing line, the devil of desire wins for once. Rescued from Russian scoundrels by the gallant Colonel F, the virtuous Marquise finds herself mysteriously pregnant – resulted from a rape by her hero that brings disgrace to her aristocratic family and becomes a social scandal. Rohmer conjures up an ironic, touching version of Heinrich von Kleist’s novella of the 19th century, painting a neo-classic picture of disillusion and morality – social codes crystallized from repressed lust, sublimated gentility, and the birth of love.
Cannes Film Festival: Grand Prize of the Jury
16.2.2019 (SAT): Film talk with Grace Ng
In the Memory of Wong Ain-ling
“A Russian officer has gallantly rescued the Marquise of O from a gang of wolfish soldiers in the battlefield, and yet, he finds it hard to resist the temptation of the flesh. Watching her sleep – desire overrules reason. There she is, the Marquise, in deep slumber, her hand dangling from the bed’s edge, her soul in flight, her body deliciously seductive. Perhaps she is dreaming an erotic dream… When all is said and done, the officer has to abide by the code of the high society and align deviance with the norm before he could get the lady. As if observing a subconscious guiding principle of the behavior between men and women, Rohmer was only just traveling back from the present to the 18th Century.” – An Affair with Film
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.