The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Dir: Isao Takahata
Japan, 2013, 137minmins, DCP
Takahata’s final animated fable, eight years in the making, is a masterpiece of utmost beautiful fantasia and solitary meditation. Adapting the famous Japanese folklore, the celebrated artist takes hand-drawn animation to new heights of impressionistic fluidity. In charcoal lines and watercolored hues, the elegiac tale of the princess from the moon is unfolded, and morphed into a sophisticated allegory on the folly of materialism and the evanescence of beauty. In his stark realism threaded with imagination, Takahata left behind a shining grace for Princess Kaguya, and an inspiring legend that lives on through his timeless animations.
© 2013 Hatake Jimusho-GNDHDDTK
2015 Academy Awards, nomination for Best Animated Feature Film
18.6.2018 (MON): Post-screening talk with Thomas Shin
Buy Ticket 2018-06-18 (Mon)
Full House 2018-07-29 (Sun)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.