Dir: Lester James Peries
Sri Lanka, 1972, 110minmins, DCP
Cast: Coranelis Appuhamy, Kumarasinghe Appuhamy, Saman Bokalawala
“It was in New Delhi, a black-and-white film with no subtitles. What stayed with me to this day was the boundless sense of loneliness that stretched the full length of the screen, and beyond. I had no idea which film it was, but thinking back I believe it was The Treasure . Many years later I had the good fortune to watch a few more works of Lester James Peries at Fukuoka International Film Festival, and the even greater fortune to meet him in person. It moved me deeply.” – 19th HKIFF, A Tribute to Lester James & Sumitra Peries
27.1.2019 (SUN): Film talk with Thomas Shin
Restored in 2013 by the Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project at Cineteca di Bologna/L’Immagine Ritrovata laboratory. In association with Lester James and Sumitra Peries, the National Film Archive of India and the National Film Corporation of Sri Lanka, Cinemas Ltd. Additional restoration elements provided by Degeto Films. Restoration funding provided by Doha Film Institute.
Buy Tickets 2019-01-27 (Sun)
Buy Tickets 2019-02-17 (Sun)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.