The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Dir: Ken Loach
Ireland/UK, 2006, 127 minsmins, 35mm
Cast: Cillian Murphy, Padraic Delaney, Liam Cunningham, Orla Fitzgerald
In an Ireland seeking independence from Britain in the early 20th century, two brothers, Teddy and Damien, become freedom fighters, entering into a violent bloodshed with a vision of a new nation. Yet treaties with Britain leave social dreams unrealized, dividing the nation anew and the brothers – Teddy favoring it as an incremental compromise, but Damien rejecting it as a sellout, resulting in a fratricidal war unto death. Loach combines the epic sweep of this era with heartfelt sensitivity to intense personal struggles and sacrifices, and has no intention to hide his rage and denunciation of British beastliness and brutality.
2006 Cannes Film Festival, Palme d’Or
The Wind that Shakes the Barley – From 32nd HKIFF Main Catalogue, 2008
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 2017-10-15 (Sun)
- PREMIERE Elements (Venue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- K11 Art House
- The Metroplex
- Festival Grand Cinema
- the sky
- MCL Telford Cinema
- Tai Kwun
- MOViE MOViE
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- M+ Cinema (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas Times Square (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema
- Broadway Hollywood
- Cine Moko
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at ALL commercial cinemas: Tickets are available at URBTIX till 5pm one day before respective screening, after which tickets will be available only at the box office of the respective venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre: Tickets are available at URBTIX until one hour before the screening, after which remaining tickets will be sold only at the door.
4. Screenings at M+ Cinema: No tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are available at URBTIX outlets until one hour before the screening, after which tickets will be available at URBTIX website or mobile app only. Ticketing services for respective screening will not be available after the screening begins.
5. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS appreciates its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.